Disable My Drives

We are transitioning our data to Shared Drives vs using My Drives.

1.   Shared drives is a central area for the data where the system has ownership vs individual users.
2.   Deleted data from shared drives goes to the trash, but the system retains the rights to it vs the individual users.  Cannot be permanently deleted. 

My drives - the user can permanently delete the data.  Unless we are using vault, the data is permanently lost.   If the user leaves the company, the data has to be transferred to another user or it is deleted when the user is deleted.  Creates administrative headaches keeping track of it.  

We would like to transition all of our users out of My Drive into Shared Drive.  Then shut off access for them in My Drive.   Is there a way to do this?   

3 9 1,417
9 REPLIES 9

@ThnkHappy There is not a way to do this but I would like the same thing many times! -KAM

Google needs to understand that what it means to manage a business environment!!!

Why they didn't create a structure like every other, real, business network OS is beyond me.

It makes managing and protecting business work product a real pain in the derriere.

You might want to post this to the Feature Ideas section here. See https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Feature-Ideas/gh-p/workspace-ideas-group, and https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/custom/page/page-id/Workspace-Feature-Ideas-FAQ for how to get access. This will allow it to be upvoted by others and possibly considered as a future feature enhancement.

If you are submitting a feature idea, be sure to explain the problem that you're trying to solve with the feature idea, not just the idea itself. For example, saying "when my users are trying to do 'A', they often get confused by the fact that the buttons to do 'X' and to do 'Y' look quite similar to each other, which leads to this unintended consequence" is far more likely to get fixed than a feature idea that just says "change the color of the button 'Y'".

Cheers,

Ian

I tried it and had roadblock after roadblock. It says I do not have
access Gave up .... I do not think they are interested in our feature
suggestions.

--

Julie Keller
Tech Support
Agri Industries
(PII removed by staff)
www.agriindustries.com

"Do more of what makes you happy"

same problem

The easiest way would be to disable "My Drive" completely within an organization. 
It's a pain in the *** to track all documents that are stored in all the employees' "my drives". 
When they leave, it's awful to sort it out. 

Is there this workaround? I cannot seem to find it 😕 

I never did find a solution. It is what it is.

Another compounding problem is the inability of shared drives to have the
security flexibility of the my drives. I fail to understand why we can't
set security rights in shared drives like we can in my drives. We should
be able to set security to whatever we want at the file / folder level vs
the outermost folder level. Drives .... me .... nuts.

--

Julie Keller
Agri Industries
(PII Removed by staff)
www.agriindustries.com

"Do more of what makes you happy"

100% agree!!! 

We also face a massive challenge when staff retire or leave.  We lock the account for a 1 year holding period and then delete the account.  Any 'My Drive' folders or files shared by that user with other staff causes us real headaches.

Also, the flow of permission inheritance to sub folders for Shared Drives needs to be fixed.  It is absurd that we are using this in a business environment and cannot remove permissions inherited from a parent folder.  This really needs to be addressed by Google to allow admins to structure their Google Shared Drive environment properly.  An example... the HR department has access to a Shared Drive called 'HR Department',  The 'HR Group' is assigned 'Content Manager'.  We have a sub folder called 'HR Manager'.  We want only the 'HR Managers' Group to have access.  We cannot remove the inherited 'HR Department' group.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors