Share your opinion about file permissions in Drive

Help shape the future of sharing permissions and visibility in Drive!

The Drive research team would love to hear about whatโ€™s important to you when you share files and folders in Google Drive.

Please fill out this 5 - 10 minute survey

We really appreciate your time and feedback. Thank you so much!

The Google Drive Research Team

0 5 318
5 REPLIES 5

Done!  Appreciate the opportunity to express my frustration with not having the ability with Shared Drives to remove access permissions due to inheritance from a parent folder.

Thank you for your feedback!

The Waterfall concept is too limiting. Use Case - We have Shared Drive folders for each department (but would prefer those all being subfolders under our company). In any event, let's take the main HR drive folder (which contains both Recruits AND Personnel). Hiring managers needs access to Recruits (for interviews, offers, etc.) but they definitely cannot have access to personnel records in the Personnel folder! So, now I have to make a Departments Shared Drive, create an HR folder, restrict everyone from these and manage subfolders on a case by case basis - way too much administration!!~

Respectfully, 
Brad, Compuverse Admin

Personally, I really like Waterfall permissions. I find it far clearer to affirmatively grant access (user A has access to folder X) rather than have a bunch of exceptions (user A has access for folder X except subfolder X/Y and sub-sub folder X/B/C, which is just confusing and hard to keep track of, in my brain at least.). So in your case, I'd just add the hiring managers (or Group containing the hiring managers) that need access to Recruits to Recruits, and not to the higher levels of the tree or to the full shared drive.

But to each their own--that's just how I think!

Thank you to everyone for your feedback! The survey is now closed.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors