News Chi-Fi: The Harbinger of Doom, or Bringing High-End Sound to the Masses?

Reactions: Revolutions

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
Do you have any explanation or opinion about this, as otherwise I’ve no idea why I should read it.

I’d much rather know what you think.
I do have a opinion regarding this article however in posting my opinion I run the risk of violating the "GRAPES" policies of this forum.

My only input is that I own Volex molded power cords for most of my components and I do believe them to have been made in China...so far so good.

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I read some of that blog. The construction of the 2nd sentence almost inspired me to release some rage by launching my phone out of the window. But I digress... ah yes, another ‘global’ argument like the World Series in Baseball: America + one other cursory entrant allowed.

I’m sure there was other stuff in the remaining paragraphs, I forget though. Think I got distracted.

Reactions: DougK1 and A-Line

podknocker

There's a lot of stuff coming out of China and much if it is truly awful, but it's not all rubbish. China is way ahead of anyone else when it comes to space age technology, weaponry, quantum computing, electric cars and loads more. It's a huge economy and some of the HIFI is amazing. Many UK brands are now owned by the Chinese, IAG being the one mentioned many times on this forum. I've had products from IAG and not been that enthused. I own an IAG device currently and it is performing well, so a bit of a mixed bag really. Some companies have their products made in China and they sell loads and then some companies do a lot worse. I'm not sure if it's the quality control in China, or something else.

Reactions: DougK1 and A-Line
There's a lot of stuff coming out of China and much if it is truly awful, but it's not all rubbish. China is way ahead of anyone else when it comes to space age technology, weaponry, quantum computing, electric cars and loads more. It's a huge economy and some of the HIFI is amazing. Many UK brands are now owned by the Chinese, IAG being the one mentioned many times on this forum. I've had products from IAG and not been that enthused. I own an IAG device currently and it is performing well, so a bit of a mixed bag really. Some companies have their products made in China and they sell loads and then some companies do a lot worse. I'm not sure if it's the quality control in China, or something else.
I’m not sure it’s is exactly ‘owned by the Chinese’ which makes it seem like a state subsidiary, but the exact history is certainly fascinating.

More here…

I do have a opinion regarding this article however in posting my opinion I run the risk of violating the "GRAPES" policies of this forum.

My only input is that I own Volex molded power cords for most of my components and I do believe them to have been made in China...so far so good.
Well, I have several Hifi products made in China, apart from mains cables, adapters and chargers, and others from Vietnam and Japan (and I remember when Japanese items were seen as a threat, but Nissan showed the British motor manufacturers how to make a car that lasted until the week after you got it home!)

These days, many Hi-Fi products are made in part or fully in PRC. And who can blame the designers, when the cost and sacalability are factored in? Aside from the US focus in the article, very few of us can afford hand-made or artisan components.

My Primare integrated amp is probably better finished than my artisan US made Pass Labs power amp, but the Scandinavian Primare is made in China and checked in Sweden before shipping. Nowt wrong with that for my money.

My Fosi amp cost less that the list price of the Scottish Atlas cables I plugged into it, but it’s very nicely made and sounds just fine.

Each to their own!

Last edited:

idc

The Chinese are rapidly proving, with all sorts of products, that they can produce reliable, quality goods. We have just bought an MG3 hybrid and it is one of the best put together cars I have owned. I recently test rode a CFMoto motorbike and was less impressed. I think the same will apply to hifi. They will get some right and others less so, depending on what company is involved, their design and commitment to quality control.

Gray

So far?
I should think so too 😁
Seriously, assuming they meet UK standards, I'm not sure what you think could possibly go wrong with them.
As you've pointed out, they cost £7 each.
You could have paid a lot less for a mains cable that would still being doing its job - perfectly - long after we're all dead 👍

Last edited:

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
So far?
I should think so too 😁
Seriously, assuming they meet UK standards, I'm not sure what you think could possibly go wrong with them.
As you've pointed out, they cost £7 each.
You could have paid a lot less for a mains cable that would still being doing its job - perfectly - long after we're all dead 👍
Well my interconnects and speaker cables are made in England by RM Crimson(RM Crimson Music Link). Sadly the cables and IC's are no longer made.

Molded power cords are far less likely to produce a calamity than ones that have a after market power plug which may or may not meet safety standards yet some cost from a few hundred pounds to thousands of pounds each...

podknocker

I think all UK mains cords must come with a moulded plug, by law. The days of screwing yourappliance into a fuse are long gone. Power cords were very cheap years ago, but you need to pay about £7 for a decent one now. It's all you need to pay. The power cords costing hundreds are an absolute waste of money. I don't see the point in ordering a power cord from abroad and risking it. It must cost as much for the shipping.

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
I think all UK mains cords must come with a moulded plug, by law. The days of screwing yourappliance into a fuse are long gone. Power cords were very cheap years ago, but you need to pay about £7 for a decent one now. It's all you need to pay. The power cords costing hundreds are an absolute waste of money.
The certain model of Volex power cord that I use does matter as it effects the sound vs a mixed bag of molded cords generally provided by the manufacturer in the shipping carton. This gives consistency throughout my 2 systems. If it sounds better than it is better.

At 7£ each for after market molded power cords that's a cheap tweek in my opinion.

podknocker

No, and neither can a electrical engineer. Sound is subjective and is open to interpretation. 💡
Physics isn't open to interpretation however, so there must be something in the power cord giving you the perception of a change in sound. Either the sound has changed and been perceived as changed, or changing the cord has convinced you of a change. If there is a change, there must be a way of measuring it. I've never expected a change in sound, when swapping cords or speaker leads and I've never experienced a change.

Reactions: JDL

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
Physics isn't open to interpretation however, so there must be something in the power cord giving you the perception of a change in sound. Either the sound has changed and been perceived as changed, or changing the cord has convinced you of a change. If there is a change, there must be a way of measuring it. I've never expected a change in sound, when swapping cords or speaker leads and I've never experienced a change.
Perhaps you could explain your findings using physics? 🤔
I'm trained in healthcare, not advanced physics.

Many companies manufacture power conditioners based upon the same premise.
There seems to be a market for those that do perceive a improvement in sound whether or not you've experienced a change, good or bad, in the sound quality. 💡

Last edited:

podknocker

Perhaps you could explain your findings using physics. 🤔
I'm trained in healthcare, not advanced physics.
I don't have any findings as there are none to find. I don't suggest mains cords can change the sound of a HIFI system, as there is no possible way of this happening. There has never been any paper written to prove mains leads and speaker leads have an affect on sound quality, yet remarkably, many on this forum and others, seem to find the opposite to be true, with no proof via blind testing etc. It's merely conjecture.

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
I don't have any findings as there are none to find. I don't suggest mains cords can change the sound of a HIFI system, as there is no possible way of this happening. There has never been any paper written to prove mains leads and speaker leads have an affect on sound quality, yet remarkably, many on this forum and others, seem to find the opposite to be true, with no proof via blind testing etc. It's merely conjecture.
Thank you for your opinion. 👍

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
I've not heard any improvements using power conditioners yet but outboard power supplies yes. My LP12 won't work without the supplied Radikal power supply. I purchased the Radikal power supply after hearing a significant improvement in the overall sound in the table.
Before Radikal I was using the Lingo power supply.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts