Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500 Limited Tungsten Edition
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
Incorrect. The "highway" program or Highway Fuel Economy Driving Schedule (HWFET) is defined in 40 CFR 600. I. It uses a warmed-up engine and makes no stops, averaging 48 mph (77 km/h) with a top speed of 60 mph (97 km/h) over a 10-mile (16 km) distance.

And then this result is averaged with other drive cycles having much lower average speeds to arrive at the commonly cited combined efficiency/range numbers.

Stop spreading blatant misinformation.
My bad - I was thinking of US06 since Tesla almost universally uses the five cycle EPA test nowadays - and that test uses speeds of up to 80MPH, however the average speed is still only 48mph in that cycle.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I don't know how gas station owners will be the winner when motorists make the transition from filling up once or twice a week to filling up every night at home. Supermarkets will be the winner as people shift some of their purchases from when they fill up to the cheaper supermarkets.

The Supercharger network will keep growing, and some gas stations will convert to charging stations, but mostly there will be a whole lot less "filling up" away from home. This is a fundamental shift in how people go through their week.
There are always going to be apartments, condos, hotels, whatever, that won't give you the chance to charge every night at home. In the long term, when the ICE/BEV ration tips past 1:2 in favor of the BEV, we will see those places start to add charging as a way to attract renters.

Also, don't forget that (based on this forum), 99.7% of drivers tow 20,000# 498 miles every day, but their ICE Toyota Camry can seem to do it non-stop. So expect a huge upswing in supercharging.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
This is at 68 degree, not 45 as in the CyberTruck test.
The temperature was dropping as Kyle drove through the night. By the time he hit one percent battery remaining, the temperature on the display said 39 degrees. He had the heated steering turned on and the seat heater on full blast to keep his butt and hands toasty. While this is not a very significant energy expenditure, it does raise the question of what other unseen variables may have impacted the efficiency.

Never rely on a single range test to draw broad conclusions.

If I were driving my Cybertruck off the beaten path, where there were no Superchargers yet, I would drive more slowly. So I'm more interested in what the range of Cybertruck would be on a casual extended drive, with pleasant weather, through the countryside at speeds closer to 55 would be. My six years of experience driving Teslas suggests it would be over 320 miles (with the All-Terrain tires) and over 340 miles (with the All-Season tires).

That is a long frickin ways when you're just silently gliding down the county roads or scenic byways at 55 mph!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also, don't forget that (based on this forum), 99.7% of drivers tow 20,000# 498 miles every day, but their ICE Toyota Camry can seem to do it non-stop. So expect a huge upswing in supercharging.
That's pretty funny! But it's not all that inaccurate of a representation of the kind of bullshit we see posted here every day as if it were God's honest reality. Oh, and the transmission never fails after all that towing, and they get 12 mpg towing at 70 mph.

HitchHiker71

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
That's pretty funny! But it's not all that inaccurate of a representation of the kind of bullshit we see posted here every day as if it were God's honest reality. Oh, and the transmission never fails after all that towing, and they get 12 mpg towing at 70 mph.
12mpg*33 gallons = 396 miles in my 2018 RAM 1500 1/2 ton pickup. Sure beats the heck out of 120 miles at most - along with a 5-7 minute refueling stop. Maintenance is maintenance. Just saying.

With regard to your point about the bullshit. Actually it's likely the simple reality that the roughly 1/3 subset of 1/2 ton pickup owners who tow/haul and aren't exactly 100% satisfied with the CT brought to market is much more likely to complain and be vocal about their issues than the 2/3 subset that are perfectly happy with the CT and have no reason to complain or to seek out online forums to express their collective happiness (as opposed to the unhappiness being discussed in this thread). It's the simple observation that those who aren't satisfied are always most likely to complain. Just saying.

Last edited:

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
That's pretty funny! But it's not all that inaccurate of a representation of the kind of bullshit we see posted here every day as if it were God's honest reality. Oh, and the transmission never fails after all that towing, and they get 112 mpg towing at 90 mph.
Fixed it for you.

HitchHiker71

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
The temperature was dropping as Kyle drove through the night. By the time he hit one percent battery remaining, the temperature on the display said 39 degrees. He had the heated steering turned on and the seat heater on full blast to keep his butt and hands toasty. While this is not a very significant energy expenditure, it does raise the question of what other unseen variables may have impacted the efficiency.

Never rely on a single range test to draw broad conclusions.

If I were driving my Cybertruck off the beaten path, where there were no Superchargers yet, I would drive more slowly. So I'm more interested in what the range of Cybertruck would be on a casual extended drive, with pleasant weather, through the countryside at speeds closer to 55 would be. My six years of experience driving Teslas suggests it would be over 320 miles (with the All-Terrain tires) and over 340 miles (with the All-Season tires).

That is a long frickin ways when you're just silently gliding down the county roads or scenic byways at 55 mph!
I used a similar example, however I adjusted the EPA adjustment factor back to the default of 0.70 as opposed to what Tesla is using for the CT (which is likely somewhere between 0.77-0.79 best guess based upon past EPA factors used). Using the default factor, the EPA estimate of 318 would come down to roughly 290 miles. Had OOS used a speed of 55-60mph in warmer temps - I'm fairly confident that the CT would have likely delivered right around that amount of miles (290) in a similar test.

RBosque

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Cybertruck, own others
Occupation
Boulevardier
Country flag
You didn't check the math used to arrive at those cost figures, did you? It's a junk website peppered with non-sensical information.

The article is not Cybertruck specific, it attempts to quantify the fuel costs for a typical gas car vs. a typical ev.

The article tells you it is using a car that returns 25 mpg but it doesn't tell you the efficiency of the EV except to say that charging at public chargers (both Level 2 & Level 3) averages $0.28/kWh and it costs $280 to drive 1000 miles.

That implies 1000 kWh to drive 1000 miles or 1 kWh per mile. Do you see the problem here? Your article leverages the electrical ignorance of non-EV motorists to wildly distort the costs.

The cost of gasoline at their given average price of $2.68 is similarly cherry-picked. I used Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
for the most accurate U.S. average prices of regular gas and had to go back almost 3 years ago to find average prices that low, even though the article is dated Jan. 4, 2024. And that was the price drop during the pandemic when no one was driving.

If you get your information from sketchy websites you will draw sketchy conclusions. In this case the results are nowhere near reality. Most EV's get nearly 4 times the miles per kWh quoted on that page and gas is currently 22% more expensive than their assumed prices (and more often much more than that).

Garbage in/Garbage out. How did you pick such a garbage site to do your research and why didn't you do even the most basic of fact checking? I'm labeling you another Johnny-come-lately troll. Cybertruck Owners Club has seen a recent flurry of troll activity with the release of the Cybertruck and I feel for the moderators who have to wade through all this garbage and figure out which posters are just trolls trying to throw shade on Tesla, the Cybertruck, Elon Musk and electrification in general. Because there are a lot of recent trolls. They think if they throw enough shade and negative vibes on EVs, that they can turn people off from going electric.

This is in the best interest of oil companies, gas station chains, dealership networks, legacy auto companies and hundreds of major auto parts suppliers. But it's not in the best interest of humanity or the United States.
You consider the site I quoted as sketchy and you label me a troll because I presented information that you don't agree with? The website I quoted from is very pro-EV; they are not some conspiracy website designed to cast a shadow on EV usage and ownership. Quite the contrary.

I suggest that it is you who is the troll based on your rabid personal attack, ridiculing and bullying instead of discussing the issue with any modicum of civility.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
12mpg*33 gallons = 396 miles in my 2018 RAM 1500 1/2 ton pickup. Sure beats the heck out of 120 miles at most - along with a 5-7 minute refueling stop. Maintenance is maintenance. Just saying.
I'm thinking you've never towed a big RV before because my 12 mpg figure, for towing at 70 mph is completely unrealistic, it was a joke. The fact that you didn't get it shows you don't know what you're talking about.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You consider the site I quoted as sketchy and you label me a troll because I presented information that you don't agree with? The website I quoted from is very pro-EV; they are not some conspiracy website designed to cast a shadow on EV usage and ownership. Quite the contrary.

I suggest that it is you who is the troll based on your rabid personal attack instead of discussing the issue with any modicum of civility.
The site you presented only pretends to be pro-EV. The fact that you couldn't see that $2.68/gallon was not a reasonable nationwide average price and 1 mile per kWh is not a reasonable efficiency shows you are a troll. That you still think that site is pro-EV even after I've pointed out the confusion they are sowing, proves you are a troll.

Don't play dumb with me, it's clear as a bell what you are doing here, you're not fooling anyone.

Why would I play civil with someone who is purposefully trying to deceive? Nobody is as dumb as you are pretending to be. You're not worth our time but you keep pushing complete and transparent nonsense.

HitchHiker71

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
Country flag
I'm thinking you've never towed a big RV before because my 12 mpg figure, for towing at 70 mph is completely unrealistic, it was a joke. The fact that you didn't get it shows you don't know what you're talking about.
When I posted I was actually going to use a lower number for the very reason you're now stating here - but with what I tow these days 12mpg is about right as I only tow small trailers to carry lawncare debris for the most part - but I've towed heavier boats in the past where I was only seeing about 8mpg on average at around 55mph towing a 6800lb trailer/boat combined weight with about an 800 lb tongue weight using a WDH. I didn't see any emoticons indicating your were kidding either, so apparently despite your superiority complex - you don't know how to post in forums indicating you're kidding despite the fact that every adult knows that the written word is oftentimes tone deaf - hence the primary intent for emoticons - which to me at least means you're actually just a blowhard that likes taking out their anger on internet forums. Really sad actually. Seek professional help please.

Last edited:

RBosque

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boulevardier
Country flag
The site you presented only pretends to be pro-EV. The fact that you couldn't see that $2.68/gallon was not a reasonable nationwide average price and 1 mile per kWh is not a reasonable efficiency shows you are a troll. That you still think that site is pro-EV even after I've pointed out the confusion they are sowing, proves you are a troll.

Don't play dumb with me, it's clear as a bell what you are doing here, you're not fooling anyone.

Why would I play civil with someone who is purposefully trying to deceive? Nobody is as dumb as you are pretending to be. You're not worth our time but you keep pushing complete and transparent nonsense.
Really? I can get regular gas for $2.63/gal at my local warehouse club and Diesel at $3.37; I just filled the tank on my RAM 2500 Diesel truck at that price yesterday. So don't come calling me deceptive. Take your anger issues, paranoia and bullying elsewhere. I didn't come to this site to by berated and bullied by ignorant, arrogant trolls. I will simply ignore all your future posts.

RBosque

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boulevardier
Country flag

With regard to your point about the bullshit. Actually it's likely the simple reality that the roughly 1/3 subset of 1/2 ton pickup owners who tow/haul and aren't exactly 100% satisfied with the CT brought to market is much more likely to complain and be vocal about their issues than the 2/3 subset that are perfectly happy with the CT and have no reason to complain or to seek out online forums to express their collective happiness (as opposed to the unhappiness being discussed in this thread). It's the simple observation that those who aren't satisfied are always most likely to complain. Just saying.
I don't tow all the time but I've towed my 26ft Regal Express Cruiser, a 28 ft. Airstream travel trailer, a 12 ft enclosed cargo trailer and a 10 ft open utility trailer with my truck. Sometimes I have towed these trailers all up and down the state except for the Airstream, which I have towed as far as Colorado. I routinely get 12 -14 MPG driving at normal highway speeds in Florida (70 - 75 MPH) when towing.

I'm going to stop responding to HA as he is clueless but thinks he knows it all and does nothing but launch personal attacks and tirades against anyone who doesn't agree with him. I hope the moderators are watching.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Really? I can get regular gas for $2.63/gal at my local warehouse club and Diesel at $3.37; I just filled the tank on my RAM 2500 Diesel truck at that price yesterday. So don't come calling me deceptive. Take your anger issues, paranoia and bullying elsewhere. I didn't come to this site to by berated and bullied by ignorant, arrogant trolls. I will simply ignore all your future posts.
Please, be my guest to ignore my posts. I will continue to call out BS when I see it.

The issue with the gas price quoted in your article was that it was presented as a U.S. average price. It's not. Cherry picking one stations gas price in one local, is not how typical fuel prices are obtained. Did you see my link to current fuel prices across the nation at the EIA.gov? I used the cheapest grade of regular, nationwide average prices.

And why didn't you address the claim that a typical EV consumes a kWh for every mile it travels? That's the biggest elephant in the room and you completely ignored it. Every calculation after that is completely bogus. How can you think they are an EV enthusiast's website, with numbers like that, is beyond me.
Sponsored

Last edited: