Discrepency between actual Persistent Disk used and quota

Hi, I created a new cluster and I see it already claimed 100Gi for boot. 

What really puzzled me is, when I deployed a very small kafka cluster and run `kubectl get pvc -n kafka` i get the following result as attached in the following screenshot. At first every things seems OK.....sc2.jpg

But my quota shows: sc3.jpg

And my GKE claimed storage Sows:sc1.jpg

As you can see what the Persistent Disk that i am using is only 10GB + plus 100GB for the autopilot cluster boot.

Why do my quota reached 410GB when I am only using is 110GB. Where is the extra 300GB ? is is cache ? can I clean it ?

P.S.: When I delete the cluster my Persistent Disk SSD quota becomes 0.

Thank you,

Solved Solved
0 1 116
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @izak,

Thank you for contacting Google Cloud Community.

As per our public docs, Compute Engine API quotas "used" column shows how much of the authorized total quota for each service that has been consumed, each service has its own resources to fill this quota, for persistent SSDs API consumption explanation can be found from our publicdocs.

As per this docs: 

Persistent disk SSD (GB):  This quota is the total combined size of SSD-backed Persistent Disk volumes that can be created in a region. SSD-backed Persistent Disks, as described in Block storage performance, offer higher IOPS and throughput than Standard Persistent Disks. SSD-backed Persistent Disks are available indefinitely to attach to a VM within the same zone. In the gcloud CLI and the API, this quota is referred to as SSD_TOTAL_GB. This quota is separate from quota for Local SSD disks. This quota applies to the following disk types:

• Zonal and Regional SSD Persistent Disk
  • Zonal and Regional Balanced Persistent Disk

Regional Persistent Disks consume twice the amount of quota per GiB due to replication in two zones within a region.

Please run these commands in order to list all the persistent disks and snapshots that are using the disk volume : 

gcloud compute disks list
gcloud compute snapshots list

Compare the resulting total volume with the volume reflecting in the Quota API. In addition to this you could check the storage billing report cost breakdown to see the total usage.

I hope the above information is helpful. 🙂

Thanks & Regards,

Manish Bavireddy.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hello @izak,

Thank you for contacting Google Cloud Community.

As per our public docs, Compute Engine API quotas "used" column shows how much of the authorized total quota for each service that has been consumed, each service has its own resources to fill this quota, for persistent SSDs API consumption explanation can be found from our publicdocs.

As per this docs: 

Persistent disk SSD (GB):  This quota is the total combined size of SSD-backed Persistent Disk volumes that can be created in a region. SSD-backed Persistent Disks, as described in Block storage performance, offer higher IOPS and throughput than Standard Persistent Disks. SSD-backed Persistent Disks are available indefinitely to attach to a VM within the same zone. In the gcloud CLI and the API, this quota is referred to as SSD_TOTAL_GB. This quota is separate from quota for Local SSD disks. This quota applies to the following disk types:

• Zonal and Regional SSD Persistent Disk
  • Zonal and Regional Balanced Persistent Disk

Regional Persistent Disks consume twice the amount of quota per GiB due to replication in two zones within a region.

Please run these commands in order to list all the persistent disks and snapshots that are using the disk volume : 

gcloud compute disks list
gcloud compute snapshots list

Compare the resulting total volume with the volume reflecting in the Quota API. In addition to this you could check the storage billing report cost breakdown to see the total usage.

I hope the above information is helpful. 🙂

Thanks & Regards,

Manish Bavireddy.  

Top Labels in this Space